Fred R. on Yelp

Monday, February 8, 2010

It's The Small Things in Life...

Out of the blue, it happens; you run into a long lost friend, find something you forgot you lost, stick your hand in a jacket pocket you haven't worn in a long time and find a $20.00...whatever the occurrence, it suddenly puts an unexpected smile on your face.

It really is the small things that go right or go wrong that have hidden impact on our life. Have you ever just missed being in an accident and thought about how different it would have been had you been a few seconds later? 

One of my favorite movies is Sliding Doors. The movie takes a look how mere seconds in life transform us in unexpected ways. This movie takes a look at how a life diverges based on a simple split second fork in the road. When you have a moment, watch it and tell me what you think.

For me, it really is the small things that make all the difference. I know it is easy to focus on the big events; births, deaths, graduations, promotions, terminations  and so on. But I have found that when I look back at the small moments, I find they have profound impact. I have had many a former student tell me years later that some little comment or suggestion I made stuck with them and placed onto a path that I never even dreamed of. When I look back at changes I made while plotting my course through life, I find that the comment made to me seemed profound, yet the person who made the comment never gave it a second thought.


So perhaps the moral of the story is that all small things are larger than they appear. Perhaps it is all simply perspective. Small to one, huge to another. In any case, I'd like to hear from you.


Are there small things in life?


How much do we impact the lives of others and never realize it?


Do you have a moment you want to share?

.

No comments:

Post a Comment