Fred R. on Yelp

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Social Networking and Real World Connections

Two movies are out that tackle the world of Facebook and social networking in general. There are others that grapple with the issues surrounding virtual friendships, online relationships and stereotypes of those of us who use these sites.

The movie Catfish takes a look at the nature of trust and belief that individuals place in the content shared via these sites. The movie The Social Network examines the story behind the birth of Facebook and personalities involved in the process. After watching these movies and their intentional (and unintentional) commentary on the nature of online communities, I decided to weigh in with my two cents worth.

I’d like to think that I am a contributor to my online community. I review businesses I frequent, I share photos and thoughts, contribute to causes I support and communicate with family and friends. In a virtual drink, I’m the digital straw that stirs the drink.

So like many other Facebook users, I often look for long lost friends and family. Recently, after watching an episode of Last Comic Standing, I saw a comedian with the same last name. I’ve heard all my life that there are not that many Rochas out there, so I did a Facebook search and found that Jerry Rocha had a page. A friend request and acceptance leads to a new connection and a new friendship.

Lucky for me Jerry relocated to the LA area and frequents comedy clubs all over the state. We had a chance to see him, meet him and bring together as many Rocha family members as I legally could at one time. We got together this past Saturday at the Irvine Improv, caught Jerry’s set and had a blast getting to know the real person. We still don’t know how we are related, but that’s not the important part. The important part is that we have a new real connection to a real person. The more people we know, the greater the opportunity to feel part of a greater whole and not so alone on this big blue marble.

The power of social networking (to me at least) is the ability to develop connectedness when physical barriers limit direct connection. It also allows us to reconnect with people we should of held close but let slip away. I don’t think virtual connections replace physical ones.

Like any other advance in technology, the ability to use any product or application for good or evil lies in the individual. That’s just my opinion, I could be wrong. What’s your opinion?

No comments:

Post a Comment