Fred R. on Yelp

Friday, January 1, 2010

(Anti)Social Networking or Who Cares Where You Eat?

So here I am at the start of a new decade, using new technical innovations to do what used be done by email, voice-mail or heaven forbid, in person: having dialogs regarding all things banal, benign or brilliant.

I use apps on a cell phone that are now known as PCDs; Personal Communication Devices. These devices have have little in common with the bricks of the Eighties. The first cell phone I had was designed to connect me with others via phone lines. Later came text messaging, followed closely by photo and video messaging. Now, we are able to do most things that required PCs. So it stands to reason that our forms of interaction and communication would evolve as well.

The mere fact that I am blogging about this is demonstrates how much I am willing to share my thoughts and actions. Recently I was asked why I use Four Square (www.foursquare.com), although I believe the question was more along the lines like "Who cares where you eat? Why do you want people to know? The simple answer is that it is another way to create dialog and share opinions. The longer answer is that the competitive side wants to demonstrate where I go and what helps me form my "educated and knowledgeable" opinion.

So the idea of connecting without physical boundries is one that is appealing to some and disturbing to others. I know what I think, but I want to know what your opinion is. Share if you care. Feel free to use your iPhone, Droid, Crackberry or other device....

2 comments:

  1. You have some very interesting observations here that are unique in viewpoint.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Tom Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure Tom. Thanks for reading and the comment.

    ReplyDelete